Saturday, July 18, 2009

I Don't Like It, lol

I sure like having the accessibility to a Decorative Painting Shop and Scrapbooking Shops. Yes, I am spoiled as I know many do not have this luxury anymore with so many shops closing due to the economy and the internet boom. It is a great opportunity to take classes where you can "try before you buy", lol. With a class fee and/or a small palette fee for supplies, you can try the latest techniques or mediums and see if it is something you would like to pursue. Internet and videos just fall short of this hands-on experience.

So... what did I try this week? Well, I booked a class at one of my favourite scrapbooking shops, Tina's Scrapbooking in Winchester, and some friends and I got to play with Glimmer Mist by Tattered Angels. I guess if I was to describe it, I'd have to call it shimmery watercolour in a spray bottle. And if you know anything about me, it's that I have a bit of aversion to watercolours. I just don't get 'em, lol, although I do continue to "try" them. So, maybe I didn't "get" this project because of my mental block with watercolours (structured type), lol?

The array of colours and combinations is quite staggering. But at almost $10 per bottle, it is not an inexpensive "toy", although, each bottle lasts and lasts. You can use it on paper, acrylics, chipboard, wood, canvas... Some Decorative Painters are even using it in their designs with great results.

We had small albums comprised of blank white paper pages that were our "canvasses". We sprayed and layered and stencilled and stamped and brayered and smeared and wiped and... wore it. Neat process. Fast way to colour up blank pages already confined in a pre-made book. Guess for some it would beat the glue mess, but... nope, decided it is NOT for me. Far too messy (and expensive). BUT I had a GREAT time playing with it and especially not having the mess in my home, lol. It was a great afternoon for the four of us.

Ah well, it's the journey, right?

I know, some will think what I just wrote is heresy, lol.

~ Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment